Title: Explora for High School Students (Database)
Interface of: EBSCO Industries, Inc.
Copyright Date: 2015
Explora provides students with access to eResources related to a wide range of topics. Such topic categories include: Language Arts and Literature, Biography, Business and Government, Current Issues, Geography, Health, History, and Science and Math.
This is an incredible resource for high school teens doing research for personal projects or school. The database provides full-text documents, the majority of which are peer reviewed and come from scholarly sources. This is a much better tool for students to use than regular search engines such as Google because the information is vetted for reliability and accuracy. The database is offered in multiple languages, which makes it a versatile resource for ESL individuals.
About the Resource:
“Explora is EBSCO’s interface for Schools and Public Libraries. Designed to meet the unique needs of its users, Explora supports both student research and classroom instruction with the following features:
- Simple search that quickly delivers relevant results
- Easy-to-browse categories organized by popular topic
- Topic overviews that provide students with a starting point for research
- Colorful, mobile-friendly design with feature areas that provide context to students
- Reading level indicators (Lexile® Measures) to simplify discovery of grade-appropriate content
- Text-to-speech for HTML articles to assist struggling readers or those learning English
- Curriculum Standards Module to help educators correlate EBSCO content quickly and easily to Common Core, state- or province-specific curriculum standards
There are four versions of the Explora interface:
- Primary Schools
- Secondary Schools
- Canadian Schools
- Public Libraries”
Curriculum Ties: All subjects
Interest Group: Grades 9-12
Justification of Selection: This database provides information is valuable to teens of all ages and demographics.
EBSCO Industries, Inc. (2015). Explora – Secondary schools. EBSCO Help. Retrieved from http://support.ebsco.com/help/?int=src_ic&lang=en&feature_id=&TOC_ID=Always&SI=0&BU=0&GU=1&PS=0&ver=&dbs=eric,khh,mih,tth,hxh,mth,ulh,voh,bth,cmh,a9h,sch,n9h,n8h,n5h,lkh,lir,f6h,t6o